What is the best way to lose love handles? The Magic Fix
Finally, it’s time to address the elephant in the room. We all have it (at least, the unfortunate ones like myself) and we all dread it. And the truth is, it loves to stay around our waist like a bad habit. Yes, we are talking about the dreaded love handles and despite the name, there is nothing to love about it. So, what are love handles? And what is the best way to get rid of love handles? Let’s try to get to the very bottom of this.
Love Handles is an informal term that describes the deposits of fat at the sides of one’s waist. Also, called muffin top or side fat, this part is one of the most stubborn areas of the body that holds on fat for dear life. It usually starts going away once males hit below 15% body fat or for females, 25%. And even then, you will still have this malicious entity, grinning in the background, waiting to re-emerge with the slightest of mistakes. And to make things worse, it can afflict both males and females. With that said, I personally have a problem with love handles, which is why this topic is deeply personal to me.
Why is it a problem?
There are two types of problems that love handles can tag along –
First, the presence of love handles can imply a lot of underlying medical conditions such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, liver diseases, osteoarthisis, cancer etc. Even though, love handles, by itself, isn’t that harmful, it can indicate to certain diseases, more deadly and serious. So, it is a must that we consider it a harbinger to a variety of diseases.
Second, it can cripple our self-confidence by eating away at the aesthetic appeal of our physique. This might not apply to everyone but everyone loves to look good in the mirror and having a huge Tyre of fatty flabs fenced over the waistline isn’t exactly helping. It can make us look like a muffin, and hence the name muffin top.
- Excessive Eating
- Insulin Resistance
- Lack of physical activity
- Metabolism slowing disorders like hypothyroidism
- Stress and sleep deprivation.
The Magic Fix
The title of this article has me mentioning about the magic fix to this. However, we have to remember that there are no shortcuts. The only spell we can afford to make this work starts with “D” and ends with “N” – DETERMINATON. Yes, determination is the one quality that differentiates the haves from the have-nots (of Love Handles, mind you). And if you want to make this work, you have no shortcuts to get to your healthy version. However, instead of flaying our arms around in utter hopelessness, we can use some very effective strategies to carve away the adipose shell around us, especially the lateral waists. What I am going to present to you, guys, is a collection of the various strategies employed by different people to solve this problem. Before we get on to the strategy, I have to say this is for those with the determination to see through things to the end and beyond, for those who are consistent enough to keep on hammering away.
Name – High Intensity Sprinting Intervals
Duration – 12 Weeks
Frequency – 3 times a week
Calorie Expenditure – 300-500 calories
Equipments Needed – None
- Day one
- 10 rounds of 50 meter sprinting at 90% full speed. The walk back to your starting position will be your rest.
- Day two
- 6 rounds of 100 meter sprinting at 80% full speed. Rest for about 3 minutes in between rounds.
- Day three
- 15 rounds of 100 meter Tempo Sprinting at 60% full speed. The walk back to your starting position will be your rest.
- Warm up with dynamic drills such as running in place, lunges, arm rotations, hip rotations and a slow jog around the track for about 5 minutes. You can also opt to jump rope for 3 rounds of 3 minutes with a one-minute break in between each round to loosen up and acquire enough coordination needed to sprint. I don’t recommend a static stretching warm up routine for any kind of physical activity.
- Cool down by jogging for about 10 minutes and then walk back the entire distance.
- I strongly advise you to either use a TRX Suspension trainer or lift weights in between each sprinting session. Muscles will aid in our battle against the tyrannical Love Handles.
won’t claim to know everything about sprinting but there are some hard and fast guidelines to follow to prevent injuries. And, it feels good to blast out in full speed and that’s exactly why sprinting is so much fun. There’s something primal about the rush of the wind against the body while our muscles ripple in complete coordination with each other. Yet, there’s nothing primal about a torn hamstring or sprained ankle.
- Keep the torso tight, straight and vertical.
- Don’t whip your arms across the body,instead bend your elbows at 90 degrees and let it pump up and down at the sides, from hip to ears.
- Lift your front knee-high and make sure the back leg is extended straight. This will be the basis of your sprinting power.
- Sprinting doesn’t feel like stomping hard on the ground and bouncing, more like you are flying in the air forwards with minimum ground contact. So, make sure you are landing your leg just below the body with the balls of your feet, not the heels.
- Lengthen your stride slowly after the starting phase. Focus on maximum knee lift and violent arm drive at first and the rest will follow.
- Keep your face relaxed.
Sprinting has magical effects on body composition. Yes, that’s true. But we need to incorporate some lifestyle changes to make sure we are reaping the benefits of going all out in the morning. I will be blunt and say this – You won’t ever change anything with a crappy lifestyle and diet, despite your achievements in the gym or the track.
- Cut down on starchy carbs and increase your protein intake in grams to about 1.2 times your lean body mass in kilogram (if you have a bodyweight of about 75 kg, the recommendation is to have about 90 grams of protein).
- Break your monotonous sedentary lifestyle by taking excuses, every now and then, to walk to office or take the stairs or walk the dog.
- Include fish oil in your diet for it aids in a plethora of ways including fat loss, improving heart health, reduction of inflammation etc.
- Start weight lifting or use a TRX Suspension Straps at home to train your muscles.
- Avoid alcohol and cut down in sodium rich foods.
- Try Intermittent Fasting to control your calories and improve insulin sensitivity.
- Manage stress and sleep for at least 7-8 hours.
- Hydration is the key to almost everything. So, get that gallon bottle from the kitchen and fill it up.
How long will it take?
No one can accurately answer that for love handles are one of the most stubborn areas of fat deposits. However, it can take about 12 weeks for a fairly fit person to get rid of it through both workouts and lifestyle changes. But why are you in a hurry? You cannot lose fat overnight and it will take longer than you expect. It always is like that. So, be realistic and think you are undoing years of bad habits through sheer hard work and will power. The magic fix is there, folks. It isn’t instant but once you hit your stride (in about two weeks), nothing can stop you. That, there, is the magic.
So, what is the best way to get rid of love handles? Consistency. Plain, old consistency. Stick to this plan or any plan you want (that doesn’t include the one pill to solve them all) for as long as you can and you will see results. The joy of seeing results eventually through the mirror and clothes and then the compliments will make the tough road ahead a walk in the park. Set your mind to it and focus on the approach. The results are bound to come. This is the magic fix. Comment down below telling me what topic you all want me to write next.
Have a great day.